Arkansas Post National Memorial in Arkansas County, Arkansas — The American South (West South Central)
First Post of Arkansas
1686 — 1700
— The French Settlement of Henri de Tonti —
Tonti's post was perhaps only a mile or two from here on the banks of the Arkansas. The exact site is unknown. He called it Poste de Arkansea after the Arkancas (Quapaw) Indians with whom he traded. The small post survived fourteen years, strengthening France's claim to the lower Mississippi.
Erected by National Park Service, Department of Interior.
Location. 34° 0.946′ N, 91° 20.661′ W. Marker is in Arkansas Post National Memorial, Arkansas, in Arkansas County. Marker can be reached from Old Post Road 0.8 miles south of State Route 169. Located just southeast of the visitors Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1741 Old Post Road, Gillett AR 72055, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. American Townsite (within shouting distance of this marker); The Arkansas Posts (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Colbert Raid (about 500 feet away); Edge of Empires (about 500 feet away); The Post of Arkansas (approx. 0.2 miles away); The European Settlement (approx. 0.2 miles away); Stone from Ruins of Old Bank (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Post under Spain (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Arkansas Post National Memorial.
Also see . . . Wikipedia article on Henri de Tonti. (Submitted on September 17, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Exploration • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels •
More. Search the internet for First Post of Arkansas.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 18, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 17, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 123 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 17, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.