Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bay Shore in Suffolk County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Bay Shore 1695

 
 
Bay Shore 1695 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, February 16, 2017
1. Bay Shore 1695 Marker
Inscription.
1701 Secatogue Indian land
purchased by John Mowbray.
Queen Anne granted patent.
Known as Awixa, Mechanics-
ville and Penataquit.

 
Erected 1976 by Town of Islip.
 
Location. 40° 43.208′ N, 73° 14.954′ W. Marker is in Bay Shore, New York, in Suffolk County. Marker is on Main Street (Montauk Highway) east of Ocean Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bay Shore NY 11706, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dr. George S. King Park (a few steps from this marker); The Old Mill (approx. 1.4 miles away); Presbyterian Church (approx. 1.8 miles away); Methodist Church (approx. 1.8 miles away); Early Schools (approx. 1.8 miles away); Sagtikos Manor (approx. 1.9 miles away); Gibb Patent (approx. 2.2 miles away); Log House (approx. 2.4 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Bay Shore, New York (Wikipedia). "Bay Shore is one of the older hamlets on Long Island. Sagtikos Manor, located in West Bay Shore, was built around 1697. It was used as a British armed forces headquarters, at the time of the Battle of Long Island during
Bay Shore 1695 Marker - Wide View image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, February 16, 2017
2. Bay Shore 1695 Marker - Wide View
The Bay Shore 1695 marker is visible here, with the Dr. George S. King marker also visible, further back.
the Revolutionary War. President Washington stayed at the manor during his tour of Long Island in 1790....The land that would become Bay Shore proper was purchased from the Secatogue Native Americans in 1708 by local school teacher John Mowbray for "several eel spears"....The hamlet's name has changed over time: Early European settlers referred to the area first as Penataquit and later as Awixa; both were names used by the Native American Secatogue tribe. For reasons never documented, the name was changed in the early 19th century to Sodom. In 1842 there was a further name change to Mechanicsville, then a return in 1849 to Penataquit. The name Penataquit proved unpopular because it was difficult to spell. The name of the hamlet and post office was changed to Bay Shore in 1868." (Submitted on September 18, 2017.) 
 
Categories. Native AmericansSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 18, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 18, 2017, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 60 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 18, 2017, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.
Paid Advertisement