Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Decatur in Wise County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Colonel Absalom Bishop

 
 
Col Absalom Bishop Marker image. Click for full size.
By James R. Murray, September 19, 2017
1. Col Absalom Bishop Marker
Inscription. Absalom Bishop (1804-1883) began his military service as a captain of militia in the Seminole War in Florida. He later attained the rank of colonel. Bishop lived in several states before arriving in Hopkins County, Texas, in 1852, and then in what would become Wise County in 1855. One year after his arrival, he was successful in convincing the Texas legislature to create Wise County out of Cooke County. Bishop was one of the first settlers to acquire land at the townsite he helped convince voters to select as county seat. He originally wanted the town to be called Taylorsville after General and President Zachary Taylor. However, when Taylor switched to the Whig Party, Bishop, a passionate Democrat, persuaded the legislature to name the town Decatur in honor of U.S. naval hero Stephen Decatur.

Bishop built a mercantile store which would eventually be used as a temporary post office and stage stop on the Butterfield Overland Stage Line. The colonel along with other Wise County residents convinced the Butterfield Overland Stage Line owners to relocate their route to run through Decatur and on to Bridgeport. In order to do so, they oversaw the building of bridges over Denton Creek, Sandy Creek and the West Fork of the Trinity River. By doing so, commerce increased and stage travel from Decatur to Austin also became a reality. Colonel Absalom Bishop passed away on November 30, 1883, and was buried alongside his wife in Oaklawn Cemetery. Bishop, called "The Father of Wise County and Decatur," was a colorful figure who brought to Texas a broad range of experience that allowed him to help mold a raw and wild land into a bustling town and new county.

Marker is Property of the State Of Texas

Addendum plate on reverse:
Sponsored By
GFWC - TFWC
Decatur Woman's Club

 
Erected 2014 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17980.)
 
Location. 33° 14.075′ N, 97° 35.227′ W. Marker is in Decatur, Texas, in Wise County. Marker is at the intersection of Walnut Street and State Street, on the right when traveling north on Walnut Street. Touch for map. Marker is at the Northwest Corner of the Wise County Courthouse, near the intersection of Walnut and State Streets. Marker is in this post office area: Decatur TX 76234, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Captain George W. Stevens (within shouting distance of this marker); Charles Vernon Terrell (within shouting distance of this marker); Randolph Vesey (within shouting distance of this marker); Wise County C.S.A. (within shouting distance of this marker); Wise County War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Wise County Messenger (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); First National Bank of Decatur (about 500 feet away); Old Stone Prison (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Decatur.
 
Categories. Railroads & StreetcarsRoads & VehiclesSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 21, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 20, 2017, by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida. This page has been viewed 78 times since then. Photo   1. submitted on September 20, 2017, by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Higher resolution photo of the marker and a wide shot of marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement