Decatur in Wise County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Wise County C.S.A.
in fighting to the east. With almost all the male population drawn into service, Decatur became a refugee camp where settlers stayed for protection from Indians. In 1862 a "Peace Party Plot" aimed at revolt against the Texas Confederate government was discovered. Fifty persons were brought to trial in the arsenal. Five were found guilty and hanged. In 1863 Decatur was headquarters for 1st District of state militia. This was the second line of defense for the frontier
Erected 1963 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 5877.)
Location. 33° 14.054′ N, 97° 35.216′ W. Marker is in Decatur, Texas, in Wise County. Marker is at the intersection of West Main Street and North State Street, on the right when traveling west on West Main Street. Marker is located on the grounds of the Wise County Courthouse. It is of red granite, and is very hard to read. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Decatur TX 76234, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wise County War Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Charles Vernon Terrell (within shouting distance of this marker); Randolph Vesey (within shouting distance of this marker); Captain George W. Stevens (within shouting distance of this marker); Wise County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Colonel Absalom Bishop (within shouting distance of this marker); Wise County Messenger (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Stone Prison (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Decatur.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
More. Search the internet for Wise County C.S.A..
Credits. This page was last revised on May 4, 2019. This page originally submitted on September 20, 2017, by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida. This page has been viewed 177 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on September 20, 2017, by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida. 2. submitted on May 3, 2019, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A readable, close-up photo of the marker. • A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?