Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Decatur in Wise County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Wise County Messenger

 
 
Wise County Messenger Marker image. Click for full size.
By James R. Murray, September 19, 2017
1. Wise County Messenger Marker
Inscription. Started by William Forster in 1880, the "Messenger" was published in Paradise (10 mi. SW) and Alvord (11 mi. NW) before a permanent move to Decatur in 1885. Early editions included poems, love stories, and lists of strayed animals and mail at the dead letter office. N.W. and H.A. Halcomb became the owners in 1894. Two of their staff members, Marvin Smith and R.E. "Dick" Collins, bought the paper in 1907. A correspondent during the Spanish-American War, Collins worked on the staff for 40 years. Mergers with Decatur papers include the "Post" (1890), "News" (1935), and "News Review" (1940).
 
Erected 1981 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 5875.)
 
Location. 33° 14.004′ N, 97° 35.184′ W. Marker is in Decatur, Texas, in Wise County. Marker is at the intersection of South Trinity Street (Farm to Market Road 730) and East Pecan Street, on the left when traveling south on South Trinity Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 115 S Trinity Street, Decatur TX 76234, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Stone Prison (within shouting distance of this marker); Wise County War Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Wise County C.S.A. (about 300 feet away); Charles Vernon Terrell (about 400 feet away); Randolph Vesey (about 400 feet away); Captain George W. Stevens (about 400 feet away); Colonel Absalom Bishop (about 500 feet away); First National Bank of Decatur (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Decatur.
 
Also see . . .  Wise County Messenger. (Submitted on September 23, 2017.)
 
Categories. CommunicationsSettlements & SettlersWar, Spanish-American
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 23, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 20, 2017, by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida. This page has been viewed 71 times since then. Photo   1. submitted on September 20, 2017, by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide shot of marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement