Decatur in Wise County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Texas Ranger Captain Ira Long
(May 5, 1842 - March 8, 1913)
On reorganization of Texas Rangers, 1874, was commissioned first lieutenant; promoted 1875 to captain, Company A, official escort of Major John B. Jones, Commander of Ranger Force. Did outstanding duty against Indians and outlaws, and in quieting such feuds as Mason County War. Served for six years.
Erected 1967 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 5268.)
Location. 33° 10.341′ N, 97° 33.384′ W. Marker is in Decatur, Texas, in Wise County. Marker is on County Highway 4226 0.4 miles east of County Highway 4127, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Located in the Sand Hill Cemetery. Marker is in this post office area: Decatur TX 76234, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Wise County Reunion (approx. 3½ miles away); Decatur Baptist College (approx. 3.9 miles away); Texas Tourist Camp Complex (approx. 4.1 miles away); Episcopal Mission of the Ascension (approx. 4.2 miles away); Sam Woody's Cabin (approx. 4.3 miles away); Old Stone Prison (approx. 4½ miles away); Wise County Messenger (approx. 4.6 miles away); Wise County War Memorial (approx. 4.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Decatur.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 23, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 20, 2017, by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida. This page has been viewed 73 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on September 20, 2017, by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Clearer photo and a wide shot of marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?