Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Atlanta in Fulton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Old Pace’s Ferry Road

 
 
Old Pace's Ferry Road Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, April 13, 2008
1. Old Pace's Ferry Road Marker
Inscription. This is the original trace of the Pace’s Ferry Road which ran from Decatur, via Buckhead, to Pace’s Ferry on the Chattahoochee River, about 50 feet upstream from the present bridge. While the date of its establishment is unknown, on May 5, 1834, several years before the founding of Atlanta, the DeKalb County Inferior Court ordered a bridge built across Nancy’s Creek “On the Road to Pace’s Ferry.” Obviously, the ferry had been established some years earlier and this road was in constant use.

Hardy Pace, the owner and later postmaster at Pace’s Ferry Post Office, moved to this area during the 1820’s. He built his home on (West) Pace’s Ferry Road between the present Northside Drive and Randall Mill Road. In 1839 he moved to Vinings.

Early July 17, 1864, a division of the Union 4th Corps was sent here from Powers Ferry to drive the Confederate pickets from the hills between this line and the river and protect the laying of two pontoon bridges at Pace’s Ferry. After spirited skirmishing, the outnumbered Confederates withdrew. About noon, the bridges were ready and the Union 14th and 20th Corps crossed and moved by this point toward Peachtree Creek, the 14th Corps via Howell Mill (old Atlanta-Pace’s Ferry) Road, the 20th Corps via Mt. Paran Road and a military road which is now Northside Drive.
 
Erected
Old Pace's Ferry Road Marker looking toward West Paces Ferry Road image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, 04132008
2. Old Pace's Ferry Road Marker looking toward West Paces Ferry Road
1962 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 060-127.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 33° 51.575′ N, 84° 27.164′ W. Marker is in Atlanta, Georgia, in Fulton County. Marker is on Northgate Drive 0 miles north of West Paces Ferry Road, in the median. Touch for map. Marker is located in the median of the traffic circle at The Lovett School. Marker is in this post office area: Atlanta GA 30327, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Palmer’s & Hooker’s A.C. Cross the Chattahoochee (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Union Defense Line (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Errant Pontoon Bridge: Paces Ferry (approx. 0.2 miles away); The 14th & 20th A.C. Cross at Pace's Ferry (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named The 14th & 20th A.C. Cross at Pace’s Ferry (approx. 0.2 miles away); The 4th Corps Posted Along the River (approx. ¾ mile away); Site: Hardy Pace’s Res. Howard’s Headquarters (approx. 0.8 miles away); Federal Right Wing (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Atlanta.
 
Categories. Antebellum South, USPolitical SubdivisionsRoads & VehiclesWar, US Civil
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 30, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,743 times since then and 62 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 30, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement