Dr. William Renshaw
1822 - 1887
The first doctor to settle permanently in Wise County, Dr. Renshaw was often away from home for long periods, with a practice extending from Denton to Jacksboro. The Renshaw's organized one of the county's earliest schools, taught by J. D. White, for their own and neighbor children. After the Civil War, the family moved to Decatur, where Dr. Renshaw and his son Lute opened a drugstore. They were devout Baptists and supported Decatur Baptist College. Dr. Renshaw died in 1887 and was buried at Oak Lawn Cemetery in Decatur. As his 10 children married, each received a portion of the Worthington survey. Two family members still own part of the property. A number of descendants became doctors. (1977)
Erected 1977 by Texas Historical Commission.
Location. 33° 14.665′ N, 97° 29.992′ W. Marker is in Decatur, Texas, in Wise County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 380 and Renshaw-Beal Road (County Highway 2311), on the right when traveling east on U.S. 380. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Decatur TX 76234, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Campsite of Jesse and Frank James (a few steps from this marker); Texas Tourist Camp Complex (approx. 4.7 miles away); Old Stone Prison (approx. 5 miles away); Wise County Messenger (approx. 5.1 miles away); Captain George W. Stevens (approx. 5.1 miles away); Randolph Vesey (approx. 5.1 miles away); Charles Vernon Terrell (approx. 5.1 miles away); Wise County War Memorial (approx. 5.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Decatur.
Categories. • Science & Medicine • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Dr. William Renshaw.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 26, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 20, 2017, by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida. This page has been viewed 281 times since then and 62 times this year. Last updated on September 21, 2017, by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida. Photo 1. submitted on September 21, 2017, by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.