Waveland in Hancock County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Originally called the Gulfside Chatauqua and Camp Meeting Ground, Gulfside was founded in 1923 by Robert E. Jones, the first black Methodist Bishop. At the time, it was the only resort in the Gulf Region open to black Methodists. In 1980, Gulfside Assembly was recognized by the United Methodist Church as a Historical site.
Erected 2013 by Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program marker series.
Location. 30° 15.865′ N, 89° 23.509′ W. Marker is in Waveland, Mississippi, in Hancock County. Marker is on South Beach Boulevard south of Brown Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Waveland MS 39576, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sea Song Plantation (approx. 0.2 miles away); From the People of Waveland (approx. 1.8 miles away); Hurricane Katrina (approx. 1.9 miles away); Brown's Vineyard (approx. 2½ miles away); Pearl Rivers (approx. 2.7 miles away); The "Pirate House" Old Spanish Customs House (approx. 4.4 miles away); 100 Men D.B.A. Hall (approx. 4.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Waveland.
Categories. • African Americans • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 22, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 22, 2017, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 194 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 22, 2017.