Centenary State Historic Site
“The East Wing Dormitory”
The East Wing dormitory was the first of the campus structures to be built. Built between 1832 and 1833, the building was designed by Captain Delafield, and constructed by Alexander Smith of Wilkinson County, Mississippi at a cost of $14,000.00 (Nelson 1931:86)
The East Wing was a two-story brick building, 183 feet long by 25 feet wide. The height of the exterior walls was 28 feet. There were 24 rooms with six double stack chimneys to heat each room. There were thirteen columns, each 24 feet high, lining the front of the building.
The East Wing was used as a dormitory upon its completion, and with the exception of the Civil War (in which it was used as a hospital) served no other function until its demolition. After Centenary College moved to Shreveport in 1908, the East Wing was privately owned and presumed to fall into a state of disuse. In 1935 the building was razed to the ground.
The ruins you see before you are all that remains of the East Wing Dormitory building.
Location. 30° 50.504′ N, 91° 12.701′ W. Marker is in Jackson, Louisiana, in East Feliciana Parish. Marker can be reached from College Street near Pine Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3522 College Street, Jackson LA 70748, United States of America.
Other nearby markers.
More about this marker. 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Thursday-Saturday.
Closed on Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's Day.
$4 per person;
Free for seniors (62 and over) and children (3 and under).
Also see . . . Centenary State Site. (Submitted on September 23, 2017, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana.)
Categories. • Education • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 23, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 23, 2017, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 68 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 23, 2017.