Centenary State Historic Site
“The Professor's Cottage”
The Professor's Cottage was built in 1898 and rented to a professor and his family for about $125 per year. It was one of the faculty houses owned by the college, which included another cottage that was identical to it located approximately 40 meters away, where the parking lot now stands. Approximately 40 meters from the other faculty building, there was a two-story frame structure called the shack by local residents, which presumably housed married students.
The Professor's Cottage is a typical late Victorian raised cottage, that contained six rooms on the first floor. A second floor attic is reached only by a trap door cut into the twelve foot high ceiling. Wide front and side porches feature steamboat gingerbread, so called because it follows the pattern used in the woodwork of steamboats in those days. Sixteen large windows and four outer doors with dormers provided excellent ventilation in the hot summer months. Winter heat came from four fireplaces and the indoor kitchen stove.
Location. 30° 50.45′ N, 91° 12.721′ W. Marker is in Jackson, Louisiana, in East Feliciana Parish. Marker can be reached from College Street near Pine Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3522 College Street, Jackson LA 70748, United States of America.
Other nearby markers.
More about this marker. 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Thursday-Saturday.
Closed on Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's Day.
$4 per person;
Free for seniors (62 and over) and children (3 and under).
Also see . . . Centenary State Site. (Submitted on September 23, 2017, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana.)
Categories. • Architecture • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 23, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 23, 2017, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 70 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 23, 2017.