Register in Bulloch County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Register, Georgia, a small turpentine community with a largely agricultural heritage, grew into fruition at the turn of the twentieth century. Originally settled in 1855, the town was earlier known as Bengal, then Herschal. The settlement was later named for Franklin Pierce Register, who moved to the area in 1894 and became the town’s postmaster. With the help of nephew J.L. Johnson, F.P. Register started naval store and mercantile enterprises, encouraging further settlement.
The town’s population grew to 400 when the intersecting Register & Glennville Railroad and a Central Georgia Railroad branch were completed in 1901. Four to six passenger trains and three freight trains passed through daily. This brought even more workers and consumers into the community, jumpstarting the local economy. This also allowed the town’s high school students to travel to Statesboro to attend school daily. In 1904, the newly established Register School consolidated the rural Atwood, Adabelle, Union, and Sylvester schools. Register High School opened in 1917, allowing older students to attend school locally. Register High’s first teachers were Miss Effie Grande and Miss B.E. Lee.
(Continued on other side)
(Continued from other side)
Some buildings that housed these fundamental businesses still stand in Register today. Although the decline of the railroad in the 1950s spelled the end of most commercial growth in Register , local citizens sought and achieved official incorporation as a City in 1982, and in 1992, the town engaged in restoration efforts to preserve vital pieces of local history. Two is the structures currently house City Hall (Historic Mill Creek Schoolhouse) and the Community Center (City Drug Store).
Erected by The Bulloch County Historical Society, sponsored by the Jack N. & Addie D. Averitt Foundation
Location. 32° 21.95′ N, 81° 53.067′ W. Marker is in Register, Georgia, in Bulloch County. Marker is at the intersection of Railroad Street and Main Street, on the right when traveling east on Railroad Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Register GA 30452, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pulaski, Georgia (approx. 4˝ miles away); Croatan Indian Community (approx. 5.2 miles away); Excelsior and its Academy (approx. 5.9 miles away); Oliff, Rushing, Durrence House (approx. 6.2 miles away); Harville House (approx. 7 miles away); First District Agricultural and Mechanical School (approx. 7.3 miles away); Marvin Summers Pittman (approx. 7.3 miles away); Pioneer Turpentining Experiment (approx. 7.3 miles away).
Categories. • Agriculture • Horticulture & Forestry • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 23, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 23, 2017, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 219 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 23, 2017, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.