Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Jackson in East Feliciana Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
 

Republic of West Florida

Bicentennial

 

1810-2010

 
Republic of West Florida Marker image. Click for full size.
September 23, 2017
1. Republic of West Florida Marker
Inscription.
This stop on the Old Republic Trail honors the wildly independent, freedom loving settlers of Spanish West Florida's Districts of Feliciana, Baton Rouge, St. Helena and St. Ferdinand for their remarkable role in Louisiana history.

These early settlers of English, Scottish and Irish descent, many from Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia, North and South Carolina, swore allegiance to Spain in exchange for land.

On June 23, 1810 more than 500 Spanish male citizens met in Feliciana to debate action "to secure themselves against foreign invasion and domestic disturbance." All but eleven voted to seek independent control from Spain.

Thus the stage was set for the September 23, 1810 revolt. It would be the second successful revolution on U.S. soil. The first Lone Star flag of independence flew over the Republic for 74 days.

On December 10, 1810, the Republic was absorbed into the U.S. Orleans Territory. With this action the last section of the Mississippi River came under U.S. control.

The Districts of Spanish West Florida located in Louisiana are today known as the Florida Parishes.
 
Location. 30° 50.228′ N, 91° 12.966′ W. Marker is in Jackson, Louisiana, in East Feliciana Parish. Marker is on Charter Street (State Highway 10) east of Church Street

Republic of West Florida Marker image. Click for full size.
September 23, 2017
2. Republic of West Florida Marker
, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Located next to Jackson Town Hall. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1610 Charter Street, Jackson LA 70748, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Jackson (here, next to this marker); Battle of Jackson (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Original Feliciana Courthouse (about 700 feet away); Feliciana Courthouse (about 700 feet away); a different marker also named Battle of Jackson (about 700 feet away); Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Burial Site of Lt. Col. John C. McKowen (approx. 0.2 miles away); First European Settlers (approx. mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jackson.
 
More about this marker. Located on east side, in a small courtyard, next to the Jackson Town Hall.
 
Categories. Colonial EraPolitical SubdivisionsSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 24, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 24, 2017, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 66 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 24, 2017.
Paid Advertisement