Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Rocco Point in Yarmouth County, Nova Scotia — The Canadian Atlantic
 

Chapelle Site / Chapel Site

 
 
Chapelle Site / Chapel Site Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., July 24, 2017
1. Chapelle Site / Chapel Site Marker
Inscription.

Le Site
La Pointe-à-Rocco fut fondée en 1767 par les Acadiens revenus de l'exil. Pierre LeBlanc, Pierre et Louis Muis et Pierre Surette furent les premiers à s'établir dans le village. Ce site était le lieu de la première chapelle. Une reproduction de cette chapelle, ainsi que l'emplacement du premier cimetière utilisé vers la fin du dix-huitième siècle, se trouvent sur ces lieux.

La chapelle fut bâtie en 1784, à la demande de l'abbé Joseph-Mathurin Bourg. Cette année-là, les lois pénales, dites anti-papistes, furent annulées, donnant ainsi le droit aux catholiques de bâtir des églises. Cette chapelle, servait les Acadiens et les Mi'kmaqs de la région. À noter que le site fut choisi en raison de sa proximité aux différents villages acadiens et de son accessibilité par la mer.

La paroisse Ste-Anne fut fondée le 4 juillet 1799 avec l'arrivée de l'abbé Jean-Mandé Sigogne. La chapelle et le cimetière ont servi aux fidèles au moins jusqu'en 1803 quand la construction d'une nouvelle église fut commencée au site d l'église actuelle. Ce projet fut complété en 1808.

La Chapelle
Cette chapelle, mesurant 4,8 mètres par 3,6 mètres, est une reproduction de celle qui existait en 1784.

La bâtisse, en charpente de bois, a été construite d'épinette locale par des artisans de la région.

Toutes les

Chapelle Site / Chapel Site Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., July 24, 2017
2. Chapelle Site / Chapel Site Marker
Marker at right
pièces furent équarées, entaillés et marquées d'avance prëtes pour l'assemblage.

La couverture et les murs sont finis de bardeaux de bois et de planches non-ébarbées.

——————————————

The Site
Rocco Point was settled in 1767 by Acadians returning from exile. The first settlers included Pierre LeBlanc, Pierre and Louis Muis and Pierre Surette. On this site you will find a replica of the original chapel and the remains of a graveyard that dates back to the late eighteenth century.

The original chapel was built in 1784, after the repeal of the anti-papist laws that denied Catholics the right to build churches. Commissioned to be built by Father Joseph Mathurin Bourg, the chapel served the Acadians and Mi'kmaqs of the region. Rocco Point was a natural choice because of its proximity to other settlements and its accessibility by water.

In 1799, the arrival of Father Jean-Mandé Sigogne to this site marked the beginning of Ste-Anne Parish. The chapel and the graveyard continued to serve the faithful until at least 1803 when a new church was commenced on the site of the present parish church. This project was completed in 1808.

Chapel
This 4.8 metre by 3.6 metre (16'x12') chapel is a replica of the original that was here in 1784.

It

Reconstructed Chapel site at Rocco Point image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr.
3. Reconstructed Chapel site at Rocco Point
is a timber frame structure made with local spruce and built by local craftsmen.

All the pieces were pre-cut and marked ready for assembly.

The roof is finished with wooden shingles and the walls with raw edge clapboard.

——————————————

Photo 1
Fondation et seuil
Foundation and sill

Photo 2
Joints verticaux
Uprights

Photo 3
Pièces de bois carrées glissées dans les joints verticaux
Cut squared logs placed in the uprights

Photo 4
Charpente et murs finis
Framing and walls done

Photo 5
Assemblage des chevrons et pannes
Installation of rafters and purlins

Photo 6
Chevrons et pannes attachés par des chevilles
Rafters and purlins attached with wooden pegs
 
Location. 43° 49.674′ N, 65° 55.626′ W. Marker is in Rocco Point, Nova Scotia, in Yarmouth County. Marker can be reached from Rocco Point Road 1.2 kilometers south of the Lighthouse Route (Nova Scotia Route 3). Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 259 Rocco Point Road, Rocco Point, Nova Scotia B0W 2X0, Canada.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Chapelle de la Pointe-à-Rocco / Chapel site at Rocco Point

Chapelle de la Pointe-à-Rocco / Chapel site at Rocco Point image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr.
4. Chapelle de la Pointe-à-Rocco / Chapel site at Rocco Point
(a few steps from this marker); L'histoire des Surette / History of the Surettes (a few steps from this marker); Église Ste-Anne Church (approx. 1.3 kilometers away); Saint Anne Catholic Church Veterans Memorial (approx. 1.3 kilometers away); Barges de foin salé de Buttes-Amirault (approx. 4.1 kilometers away); Argyle Township Court House and Gaol (approx. 4.8 kilometers away); Law in Nova Scotia / La Loi en Nouvelle-Écosse (approx. 4.9 kilometers away); The/Le Village of Tusket (approx. 4.9 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rocco Point.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Colonial Era
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 28, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 24, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 54 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 26, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.   3, 4. submitted on September 24, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.
Paid Advertisement