Seneca in Grant County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
Changing Times in Bear Valley
Native American seasonal camps gave way to small ranching operations of the first Europeans. In good weather the stagecoach ran through the valley. And in 1895, postmaster Mrs. Minnie Southworth named the Seneca post office after her uncle, judge Seneca Smith of Portland.
In 1923 the 890 million board feet Bear Valley timber sale meant the days of quiet existence were to become a bit loader!
Woodsmen, mill and railroad workers were needed to fell trees, mill the logs, and build a railroad. The same workers and their families needed a place to call home, and it was they who were to build the town of Seneca.
Hewing trees by hand, the "Swede Steel Gang" made up for their poor English with sheer hard work. The crosscut saw made for plenty more sweat and toil out in the woods. As the pine and larch crashed to the ground, so rose the railroad line and the town of Seneca.
Erected by Malheur National Forest.
Location. 44° 8.243′ N, 118° 58.35′ W. Marker is in Seneca, Oregon, in Grant County. Marker is at the intersection of 4th Street and Barnes Street (U.S. 395), on the left when traveling Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Seneca OR 97873, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within walking distance of this marker. From Logging Camp to a Town (approx. 0.2 miles away).
Categories. • Horticulture & Forestry • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 6, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 28, 2017, by Don Hann of Canyon City, Oregon. This page has been viewed 59 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 28, 2017, by Don Hann of Canyon City, Oregon. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.