Sarah Swann Hall
Sarah Swann Hall, Grand Lady of Carson~Newman University, has been "home" to generations of students. Colonel Alfred Reuben Swann (1843~1926), visionary Jefferson County businessman and Carson~Newman trustee, built this stately home for female students in memory of his mother, Sarah Austell Swann (1808~1888). Its Georgian architecture with Corinthian columns, inviting porch, fireplace, formal parlors, wooden staircase and dining room was an elegant addition to the campus.
Two ornately furnished rooms served as halls for Calliopean & Hypatian Literary Societies, which met weekly. Until 1945, residents' duties, in exchange for room fees, were also lessons in the domestic arts. From 1943~1945 Sarah Swann Home was headquarters and residence for WWII V~12 Navy Training Program shipmates. In 1965 capacity increased when college officials moved the Society Halls to Henderson Memorial Hall and converted the space to living areas. Restored Hypatian stained glass was hung in the parlors circa 2013.
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1C 94.)
Location. 36° 7.33′ N, 83° 29.541′ W. Marker is in Jefferson City, Tennessee, in Jefferson County. Marker
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Carson - Newman College (approx. half a mile away); Site of Original Land Grant by John Roper Branner (approx. 0.9 miles away); Battle of Mossy Creek (approx. 0.9 miles away); Mossy Creek Engagement (approx. 0.9 miles away); Cox Mill (approx. 3 miles away); "Little Lord Fauntleroy" (was approx. 3.6 miles away but has been reported missing. ); Frances Hodgson Burnett (approx. 4.3 miles away); David Crockett and Polly Finley (was approx. 5.3 miles away but has been reported missing. ). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jefferson City.
Categories. • Architecture • Education • War, World II • Women •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 14, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 28, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 63 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 28, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.