Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Graham in Young County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Addie M. Graham

 
 
Addie M. Graham Texas Historical Marker image. Click for full size.
By QuesterMark, September 4, 2017
1. Addie M. Graham Texas Historical Marker
Inscription. Born in Indiana in 1843, Agnes Mary ("Addie") Kinter married Edwin Smith Graham in 1865. Upon hearing of the opportunities for land development in Texas, Graham traveled to Texas many times during the 1870s. In 1872, he and his brother, G.A., founded this town. They gave land for a county courthouse and set aside lots for churches, schools, and cemeteries.

In 1879, E.S. and Addie Graham brought their children to live in the new town. Twelve years later, they moved to Spokane, Washington, where Col. Graham had other business ventures. He died there in 1899.

Addie Graham returned to Graham and continued her husband's philanthropic efforts. She contributed to the building of a city auditorium, endowed a Bible teaching position in the Graham schools, and donated land on which was built a home for the aged poor of the county. In 1907, the city's first water pumping station was built to replace the individual wells and cisterns that had been used since the town's founding. The water remained untreated, however, until 1910, when Addie Graham gave the money for a filtering plant. The facility, built at this site, was in use for 75 years.

Addie Graham died in 1929. Her contributions have had a lasting impact on the town's growth and development.
Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986
Addie M. Graham Marker with water filter plant (background) image. Click for full size.
By QuesterMark, September 4, 2017
2. Addie M. Graham Marker with water filter plant (background)

 
Erected 1986 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 85.)
 
Location. 33° 6.853′ N, 98° 35.735′ W. Marker is in Graham, Texas, in Young County. Marker can be reached from Pecan Street 0.2 miles north of 7th Street (State Highway 67), on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. This marker stands in Fireman's Park. Marker is in this post office area: Graham TX 76450, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Major Robert Simpson Neighbors (approx. 8.4 miles away); A Military Road (Fort Belknap - Fort Worth) (approx. 8.7 miles away); The Butterfield Overland Stages (approx. 8.7 miles away); Fort Belknap (approx. 8.8 miles away); Major Robert S. Neighbors (approx. 8.8 miles away); Camp Belknap, C.S.A. (approx. 8.8 miles away); Colonel William C. Young (approx. 8.8 miles away); Fort Belknap Memorial (approx. 8.8 miles away).
 
More about this marker. The Filtering Plant for which Mrs. Graham gave the money is visible in distance behind the marker.
 
Categories. Charity & Public WorkSettlements & SettlersWomen
 
Filter Plant image. Click for full size.
By QuesterMark, September 4, 2017
3. Filter Plant
Presented to the city by Mrs. Addie. M. Graham. 1910
Filter Plant paid for by Addie M. Graham image. Click for full size.
By QuesterMark, September 4, 2017
4. Filter Plant paid for by Addie M. Graham
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 1, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 29, 2017, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 71 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 29, 2017, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement