Statesboro in Bulloch County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
World War II Prison Camp
Peanuts were an unfamiliar crop to the Germans and Italians and some hoped to take seeds home with them after the war. The local paper noted that though they worked together, Bulloch Countians found “themselves more tolerant of those foreign elements whom we may have heretofore regarded merely as monsters with horns.” Labor remained scarce in 1946 and without POWs, some Bulloch County farmers invested in the first mechanical harvesters for peanuts.
Erected 2016 by The Bulloch County Historical Society, sponsored by the Jack N. & Addie D. Averitt
Location. 32° 27.717′ N, 81° 46.217′ W. Marker is in Statesboro, Georgia, in Bulloch County. Marker is on East Parrish Street (U.S. 301) 0.1 miles east of Shelby Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 16988 East Parrish Street, Statesboro GA 30458, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Eastside Cemetery (approx. 0.8 miles away); First Baptist Church of Statesboro (approx. one mile away); The Fabulous Fifty of 1906 / The Delegates (approx. 1.1 miles away); Willie McTell Trail (approx. 1.1 miles away); The March to the Sea (approx. 1.1 miles away); Bulloch County Courthouse (approx. 1.1 miles away); Bulloch County (approx. 1.1 miles away); Statesboro Confederate Monument (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Statesboro.
Categories. • Agriculture • War, World II •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 12, 2017. This page originally submitted on October 12, 2017, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 92 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 12, 2017, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.