Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Savannah in Chatham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Jepson House Education Center

 
 
Jepson House Education Center Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 19, 2015
1. Jepson House Education Center Marker
Inscription. This Italianate mansion was built in 1856 for Savannah grocer and Civil War mayor Thomas Holcombe and later owned by former Confederate officer and Superior Court Judge Robert Falligant and his descendants. The Oglethorpe Light Infantry, commanded by Francis Bartow, received its colors and departed from here for the First Battle of Manassas in 1861. During his last visit to Savannah in 1870, Robert E. Lee was hosted here. In 2011, the building was acquired by the Georgia Historical Society. It is named in honor of local philanthropist and businessman Robert S. Jepson, Jr., and his wife Alice, principal benefactors and leaders of the effort to obtain the building. Jepson House serves as the Georgia Historical Society’s educational center, housing the office of the president and the program and administrative staff.
 
Erected 2014 by The Georgia Historical Society. (Marker Number 25-48.)
 
Location. 32° 4.233′ N, 81° 5.783′ W. Marker is in Savannah, Georgia, in Chatham County. Marker is at the intersection of West Gaston Street and Whitaker Street, on the right on West Gaston Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 104 West Gaston Street, Savannah GA 31401, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8
Jepson House Education Center Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 19, 2015
2. Jepson House Education Center Marker
other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Georgia Historical Society (a few steps from this marker); Armstrong Junior College (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Savannah's Marine Corps Memorial (about 400 feet away); Former Home of Henry R. Jackson (about 400 feet away); Comer House (about 500 feet away); Pulaski Monument (about 600 feet away); Casimir Pulaski (about 600 feet away); Congregation Mickve Israel (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Savannah.
 
Categories. ArchitectureEducationWar, US Civil
 
Jepson House Education Center asnd Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 19, 2015
3. Jepson House Education Center asnd Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 14, 2017. This page originally submitted on October 14, 2017, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 95 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 14, 2017, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.
Paid Advertisement