Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
St. Anthony in Fremont County, Idaho — The American West (Mountains)
 

Fort Henry

 
 
Fort Henry Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 23, 2017
1. Fort Henry Marker
The plaque on the bottom reads:
This monument refurbished by the Upper Snake River Valley Historical Society, Upper Snake River Chapter of the Sons of the Utah Pioneers, and the City of St. Anthony to Commemorate the 200th Anniversary of the building of Fort Henry.
1810-2010.
Inscription. was built in the fall of 1810 by Captain Andrew Henry and his companions of the Missouri Fur Company, about five miles below here on the left bank of this stream (Henry's Fork of Snake River), first buildings erected by Americans in the present state of Idaho. It was abandoned in the spring of 1811 but was occupied in October of that year by Wilson Price Hunt and the overland Astorians, who left their horses, built canoes and sought to continue their journey by water to Astoria. The water journey ended at Cauldon Linn on the Snake River near the site of Milner Dam. The party proceeded on foot, ariving (sic) at Astoria Feb. 15, 1812.
 
Erected 1934 by Idaho Pioneer Trails and Landmarks Association and Utah Pioneer Trails and Landmarks Association. (Marker Number 49.)
 
Location. 43° 57.873′ N, 111° 40.903′ W. Marker is in St. Anthony, Idaho, in Fremont County. Marker is on South Bridge Street near East 3rd Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 226 South Bridge Street, Saint Anthony ID 83445, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pioneer Meeting House (here, next to this marker); M60A3 Army Tank
Fort Henry Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 23, 2017
2. Fort Henry Marker
This marker is on the left.
(within shouting distance of this marker); World War I Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Teton City Settlers (approx. 5.4 miles away); a different marker also named Fort Henry (approx. 5 miles away); a different marker also named Fort Henry (approx. 5 miles away); Thomas C. Neibaur Monument (approx. 7.1 miles away); Teton Flood (approx. 9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Anthony.
 
More about this marker. This marker is located in American Legion Park.
 
Also see . . .  Fort Henry(2) -- FortWiki. Built as two log cabins and a dirt cellar during the winter of 1810-1811 and abandoned in the spring of 1911. Built by Andrew Henry, Pierre Menard, John Colter and a group of some 60 men for the Missouri Fur Company and Manuel Lisa. (Submitted on October 14, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.) 
 
Categories. ExplorationForts, Castles
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 15, 2017. This page originally submitted on October 14, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 88 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 14, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.
Paid Advertisement