“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Chantilly in Fairfax County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)

Mitchell-Weeks House

Mitchell-Weeks House Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, February 16, 2006
1. Mitchell-Weeks House Marker
Inscription. This building is a reproduction of a typical "Potomac Valley Farmhouse" built at this location circa 1789 by Benjamin Mitchell. It was one and a half story log house, with a sloping front roof extending over a porch, which in time became a community landmark. Ownership passed to James Wrenn, who married Mitchell's granddaughter, in 1835. Their eight unmarried daughters lived here through approximately 1940. After 1952, Charles and Edith Weeks and subsequent owners made many renovations and structural changes. The stone chimneys and the log siding on the front porch are materials from the original house.
Erected 2003 by Fairfax County History Commission.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Virginia, Fairfax County History Commission marker series.
Location. This marker has been replaced by another marker nearby. 38° 53.378′ N, 77° 25.232′ W. Marker is in Chantilly, Virginia, in Fairfax County. Marker is on Lee Jackson Memorial Hwy (U.S. 50) east of Chantilly Road, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 13661 Lee Jackson Memorial Hwy, Chantilly VA 20151, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 2 miles of
The Mitchell-Weeks House image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, February 16, 2006
2. The Mitchell-Weeks House
this location, measured as the crow flies. McAtee's Tavern (here, next to this marker); Salisbury Plain (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Colonel John Singleton Mosby (approx. one mile away); Chantilly (approx. 1.2 miles away); The Sully Farms (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chantilly.
More about this marker. This marker was replaced by a new one named McAtee's Tavern (see nearby markers).
Regarding Mitchell-Weeks House. The small house described by this marker is now a Quiznos Sub shop.
Also see . . .  Mitchell-Weeks house renovation nearing completion. Newspaper Article. (Submitted on February 17, 2006.) 
Categories. Notable Buildings
Credits. This page was last revised on June 19, 2017. This page originally submitted on February 17, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 3,219 times since then and 82 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 17, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.
Paid Advertisement