Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Statesboro in Bulloch County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Rigdon’s Mill / The Rigdon Cemetery

 
 
Rigdon’s Mill (Side 1) image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, April 11, 2014
1. Rigdon’s Mill (Side 1)
Inscription.
Rigdon’s Mill


On Mill Creek just north of this marker stood one of the oldest and long lasting water mills in Bulloch County. It was built about 1840 by Daniel Rigdon and his Irish son-in-law, William Gould, using picks, shovels, and barrows. A 100 acre lake was created by the dam. About 1880 the mill came into possession of William H. Roberts and became known as “Robert’s Mill.” Roberts served is postmaster under a presidential commission. The post office was known as Gem, Georgia. The mill soon passed to Robert’s son-in-law James Boyd who was killed in an accident at the mill in 1912. The mill ginned cotton, sawed timber, ground corn into grist and served as a community store.

In 1920 Charles Bland bought the mill and converted it into a recreation facility which he called ”Lake View.” Here were held big band dances and water sports such as fishing, boating and swimming. In 1925 Bland sold the mill to a Statesboro consortium for use as a country club. In 1928 the dam broke and was never repaired. The land soon reverted to private ownership.

(Continued on other side)



The Rigdon Cemetery
(Continued from other side)


The cemetery at this marker is the ”Rigdon Cemetery.” The earliest
The Rigdon Cemetery Marker (Side 2) image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, April 11, 2014
2. The Rigdon Cemetery Marker (Side 2)
burial is of Daniel Rigdon (1788–1847) who built the mill and owned 3,039 acres of land in north Bulloch County. His wife, Mary “Polly” Touchstone (1788–1853) rests here is well. William Gould (1818–1906), son-in-law of Rigdon and an itinerant Irish dirt worker and Confederate soldier (9th Ga. Regt.) lies herein. Gould enlisted only months after the attack on Fort Sumter and served the entire war, surrendering at Appomattox Courthouse. Most of the graves are those of owners and operators of the mill including the Roberts, Boyd, and Bland families as well as a large number of their descendants. Also resting here is Sarah Ann “Sally” Hendrix Rigdon (1829–1906), daughter-in-law of Daniel Rigdon, who, with her children, Elizabeth, Ann, Daniel, David and Mitchell, faced down a force of Gen. Sherman’s foraging “bummers” in December 1864 by hiding their livestock on an island in the lake.
 
Erected by The Bulloch County Historical Society, sponsored by the Jack N. & Addie D. Averitt Foundation.
 
Location. 32° 29.433′ N, 81° 46.7′ W. Marker is in Statesboro, Georgia, in Bulloch County. Marker is at the intersection of Old Hardy Place Road and Lakeview Road, on the right when traveling east on Old Hardy
Rigdon’s Mill (Side 1) image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, April 11, 2014
3. Rigdon’s Mill (Side 1)
The paved road on the right is Lakeview Road.
Place Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Statesboro GA 30461, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. World War II Prison Camp (approx. 2 miles away); Skirmish at Statesboro (approx. 2.2 miles away); First Baptist Church of Statesboro (approx. 2.7 miles away); Akins’ Mill Pond / The Families of Akins’ Mill Pond (approx. 2.7 miles away); Eastside Cemetery (approx. 2.8 miles away); The March to the Sea (approx. 2.8 miles away); Bulloch County Courthouse (approx. 2.8 miles away); Bulloch County (approx. 2.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Statesboro.
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesEntertainmentIndustry & CommerceWar, US Civil
 
Rigdon’s Mill (Side 1) image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, April 11, 2014
4. Rigdon’s Mill (Side 1)
The unpaved road in the background is Old Hardy Place Road
The Rigdon Cemetery Marker (Side 2) image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, April 11, 2014
5. The Rigdon Cemetery Marker (Side 2)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 17, 2017. This page originally submitted on October 17, 2017, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 66 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 17, 2017, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.
Paid Advertisement