Emerson in Bartow County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
May 20, 1864: Gen. Joseph E. Johnston`s forces camped here after retreating from Cassville and burning the highway and R.R. bridges over the Etowah. Having heard that Sherman`s forces had moved southward from Kingston toward Dallas, Johnston resumed his march on roads that converged there, May 23d, 24th.
Allatoona, scene of Oct. 5, 1864, battle, is 2 mi. E.
Erected 1952 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 008-4.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 34° 7.598′ N, 84° 45.406′ W. Marker is in Emerson, Georgia, in Bartow County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (Georgia Route 293) and Gaston Westbrook Avenue, on the left when traveling north on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in front of the Emerson Municipal Building, a former church. Marker is in this post office area: Emerson GA 30137, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Etowah (approx. 1.9 miles away); Friendship Cemetery (approx. 2 miles away); Federal Fort (approx. 2.1 miles away); The Foot Bridge (approx. 2.4 miles away); Grave of the Unknown Hero (approx. 2.4 miles away); Rowett's Redoubt (approx. 2.4 miles away); Assault On The Star Fort (approx. 2.4 miles away); Confederate Withdrawal (approx. 2.4 miles away).
Categories. • Political Subdivisions • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 31, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,450 times since then and 33 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on August 31, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.