Athens in Athens County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Silas Bingham House
Since the commissioners held meetings in the home as early as 1806, the Bingham House is recognized as the county’s first courthouse.
Ohio University’s third president, R. G. Wilson (1824–39), and his family lived here; John Templeton, the University’s first black graduate, (1828), resided with them.
In 1853 the house was moved to East State Street and in 1897 was relocated to this site through the efforts of numerous Athens County individuals and groups.
The Bingham House was dedicated July 4, 1897, in commemoration of the Bicentennial of the Northwest Ordinance of 1787.
Location. 39° 19.317′ N, 82° 6.3′ W. Marker is in Athens, Ohio, in Athens County. Marker is at the intersection of Richland Avenue and South Shafer Street and South Green Drive, on the left when traveling north on Richland Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Athens OH 45701, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Cutler Botanic Gardens (a few steps from this marker); Ohio University Normandy Park (approx. ¼ mile away); Manasseh Cutler Hall (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Kissing Circle (approx. 0.4 miles away); Student Voices (approx. 0.4 miles away); Ohio University 1915 Alumni Gateway (approx. 0.4 miles away); Ohio University Sundial (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Athens.
More about this marker. Marker is to the left of the door that faces Richland Avenue (Photo 3).
Also see . . .
1. History of the Building. “The first floor decor, fashioned after an early 19th century home, welcomes while enlightening guests about a unique era in state history. ... The furniture and accessories in the home were made between 1800 and 1860, and come from early Athens homes or were collected in southeastern Ohio. Photographs and items from the Bingham family are also on display.” (Submitted on August 31, 2008.)
2. The John Newton Templeton Story. “In 1824, Templeton entered Ohio University. Four years later, (Submitted on August 31, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.)
Categories. • Education • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 31, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 2,710 times since then and 123 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 31, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.