Pulaski in Oswego County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Pulaski Historic District
From Drill Field to Village Core
2000 Log Cabin Motel burned in area of first log cabin.
1983 Historic District formed.
1887 First Long Bridge erected.
1882-1901 Eighteen of the 23 downtown buildings were built during this period.
1881 Fire destroyed all buildings in business district.
1837 William Dewey laid out the downtown area and established two parks.
1832 Village of Pulaski incorporated.
1830 Name of village changed from Fishville to Pulaski.
1825 Steel framed Short Bridge erected.
1817 Pulaski Court House erected – first courthouse in Oswego County.
1816 Pulaski designated as eastern seat of county government.
1811 Militia formed under the command of Thomas Meacham.
1810 Area of current downtown laid out for militia drill field.
1804 Benjamin Winch erected log cabin tavern at the corner of Salina and Lewis Streets.
The Moody Family
Harry Moody was on Woolworth’s Board of Directors and President of the People’s National Bank. A library for the school and community was established in the Pulaski Academy by the Moody family.
In 1875 Charles Tollner built a box factory powered by water from the
Snow Memorial Building
John Ben Snow, the grandson of Benjamin Snow who came to Pulaski in 1832, was Vice-President and developer of F.W. Woolworth stores overseas. Through the Snow Foundation he has benefited the Village Nicholas many ways, including the erection of the Snow Memorial Building.
James Clark and his brother Charles formed the James Clark & Company bank in 1862 and built the present bank in 1882. In 1887, Ella M. Clark, daughter-in-law of James Clark, became the first female president of a national bank in the United States.
Lasting Tribute To Those Who Shaped The Village
Many of the magnificent buildings here today were built following a huge fire in 1881 that leveled most of the original downtown structures. It was a time when successful business owners, who were prospering from the rich natural resources of the region and the power provided by the Salmon River, had the means to build elaborate and artistic structures. The new buildings were rebuilt with fire resistant materials, and designed in ornate, classical styles.
Pulaski Historic District
The district contains one of the most intact clusters of 19th and 20th century residential and commercial buildings in northern New York. The boundaries are almost the same as the local militia drill field that originally occupied the area. The district is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Pioneering business people powered Seaway Trail communities with abundant water resources.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Great Lakes Seaway Trail National Scenic Byway marker series.
Location. 43° 33.999′ N, 76° 7.667′ W. Marker is in Pulaski, New York, in Oswego County. Marker is at the intersection of Jefferson Street (U.S. 11) and Bridge Street, on the right when traveling south on Jefferson Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pulaski NY 13142, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pioneer Settlers (here, next to this marker); Samuel De Champlain (within shouting distance of this marker); Richland World War I Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Casimir Pulaski (within shouting distance of this marker); Richland and Pulaski Civil War Soldiers Monument (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Pulaski Revolutionary Heroes Memorial (about 400 feet away); Pulaski Court House (about 400 feet away); Pulaski World War II Veterans Memorial (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pulaski.
Also see . . . The Seaway Trail. (Submitted on October 20, 2017, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 20, 2017. This page originally submitted on October 20, 2017, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 85 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 20, 2017, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.