City of Westminster in Greater London County, England, United Kingdom
—City of Westminster —
with 'The Who'
Performed here at
the site of
The Marquee Club
in the 1960s
Erected 2009 by The Heritage Foundation.
Location. 51° 30.806′ N, 0° 8.032′ W. Marker is in City of Westminster, England, in Greater London County. Marker is on Wardour Street just south of Broadwick Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 90 Wardour Street, City of Westminster, England W1F 0TH, United Kingdom.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dr. Joseph Rogers (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); David Bowie (about 90 meters away); Karl Marx (about 90 meters away); The 2i's Coffee Bar (about 120 meters away); The Dog and Duck (about 150 meters away); William Nicholson (about 150 meters away); Dr. John Snow (about 150 meters away); Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (about 180 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in City of Westminster.
Also see . . .
1. Keith Moon (TheWho.com). Keith Moon, The Who’s celebrated drummer, was born in Wembley on 23 August 1946, and is widely acclaimed as the greatest drummer in the history (Submitted on October 21, 2017.)
2. Keith Moon gets plaque at last despite English Heritage snub (The Independent, Feb. 1, 2009). The late Keith Moon, wild-eyed drummer of The Who, is to be honoured with a "blue plaque" just months after English Heritage ruled he was not worthy of the tribute. The plaque – to be unveiled in March at the site of the Marquee Club in Soho by the drummer's former bandmates Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend – will mark the scene of performances that were notorious as much for Moon's hell-raising style as for his skill with the drumsticks....The move follows a campaign by fans of the drummer, who were angered by English Heritage's refusal to acknowledge (Submitted on October 21, 2017.)
3. Keith Moon (The Who) Blue Heritage Plaque unveiling by Roger Daltrey, London 2009 (YouTube, 10 min.). Keith Moon is honoured by the Heritage Foundation with a blue plaque at the site of the original Marquee Club, 90 Wardour Street, London, W1 on Sunday 8th March 2009, by Roger Daltrey, Keith's mum Kit, Mike Reed and the Mayor of Westminster. (Submitted on October 21, 2017.)
4. Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend on Keith Moon (YouTube, 3 min.). (Submitted on October 21, 2017.)
5. The Who - Marquee Club, London, United Kingdom [1967.03.02] (YouTube, 10 min.). (Submitted on October 21, 2017.)
Categories. • Arts, Letters, Music • Entertainment •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 21, 2017. This page originally submitted on October 21, 2017, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 101 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 21, 2017, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.