Helena in Phillips County, Arkansas — The American South (West South Central)
Flags over Fort Curtis
The day the Battle of Helena was fought, July 4, 1863, the 35-star flag became the official U.S. flag. The new star represented West Virginia, admitted to the Union on June 20, 1863. This is the flag that flies overhead.
The Union army continued to man Fort Curtis after the Civil War so it also flew the 36-star flag, which became official on July 4, 1865. The new star represented Nevada, admitted to the Union on October 31, 1864.
These flags are the official style adopted by the military. Until 1912, neither the order of the stars nor the proportions of the flag was prescribed. Flags with the stars arranged in a circle, star and other patterns were common.
Erected 2012 by the Arkansas Department of Heritage/Delta Cultural Center.
Location. 34° 31.524′ N, 90° 35.52′ W. Marker is in Helena, Arkansas, in Phillips County. Marker can be reached from York Street west of Columbia Street. Touch for map. Located inside the replica New Fort Curtis. Marker is at or near this postal address: 350 Columbia Street, Helena AR 72342, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within Life Under Union Occupation (within shouting distance of this marker); The Guns (within shouting distance of this marker); Defending Helena (within shouting distance of this marker); The New Fort Curtis (within shouting distance of this marker); U.S.C.T. in Helena (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Curtis, 1862-1867 (within shouting distance of this marker); Who Built Fort Curtis (within shouting distance of this marker); The Battle of Helena (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Helena.
Regarding Flags over Fort Curtis. At the reconstructed fort dedication on May 11th, 2012, the ceremony concluded with a special flag ceremony in which a 35-star flag, similar to the Stars and Stripes that flew over the original Fort Curtis, was raised and saluted as KIPP Delta School choir sang the “National Anthem.” Once the flag reached full staff, a cannon was fired in tribute. The KIPP choir finished with a rousing rendition of “The Battle Hymn of the Republic” according to the Helena-West Helena World newspaper.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 22, 2017. This page originally submitted on October 21, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 55 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 21, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.