Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Atlanta in Fulton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Kilpatrick’s Cavalry on the Newnan Stage Road

 
 
Kilpatrick’s Cavalry on the Newnan Stage Road Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 12, 2006
1. Kilpatrick’s Cavalry on the Newnan Stage Road Marker
Inscription. On November 14, 1864, the third cavalry of General Sherman’s Military Division of the Mississippi [USA], Brig. General Judson L. Kilpatrick, [USA], 5500 men and 6 guns, marched from Marietta via Mayson-Turner Ferry (Bankhead Highway bridge) and bivouacked 4 miles southwest of Atlanta on the Newman Stage Road (Hardee Avenue in Fort McPherson). Kilpatrick’s division had been selected by General Sherman as the cavalry component of a reduced field force with which he was about to move through Georgia to the sea.

On the 15th, the Right Wing of General Sherman’s army, Maj. General O.O. Howard, [USA], marched from bivouac areas near White Hall (West End) in two columns. The 15th Corps, Maj. General P. J. Osterhaus, [USA], moved via Old Jonesboro Road (Langston Ave – Perkerson Road – Stewart Ave. – Old Jonesboro Rd) toward Jonesboro. The 17th Corps, Maj. General F. P. Blair, [USA], moved via McDonough Road (Capitol Ave. – McDonough Blvd. – U.S. 23) toward Stockbridge. Kilpatrick marched at dawn, covering Howard’s right flank. He moved past East Point, turned south along Flint River, and attacked Iverson’s smaller cavalry division [CSA], driving it through Jonesboro and toward Lovejoy’s Station, 6 miles to the south.
 
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 060-116B.)
 
Location. 33° 42.695′ N, 84° 25.698′ W. Marker is in Atlanta, Georgia, in Fulton County. Marker is at the intersection of Hardee Drive and Cobb Drive, on the left on Hardee Drive. Touch for map. The marker is located on the grounds of Fort McPherson. Access may be limited. Marker is in this post office area: Atlanta GA 30310, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort McPherson (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Historic Utoy Church (approx. 1.3 miles away); Original Gas Street Light (approx. 1.9 miles away); The Wren’s Nest (approx. 1.9 miles away); The Exterior Line (was approx. 1.9 miles away but has been reported missing. ); Confederate Entrenchments: 1864 (approx. 2.1 miles away); East Point (approx. 2.3 miles away); Clayton's Div., Lee's A.C. (was approx. 2.6 miles away but has been reported missing. ). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Atlanta.
 
More about this marker. Fort McPherson has been deactivated and a large portion sold for development. It is possible that the marker is no longer standing.
 
Also see . . .  Fort McPherson. This Wikipedia entry describes the history of Fort McPherson, including future plans for the redevelopment. (Submitted on October 25, 2017, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.) 
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 4, 2017. This page originally submitted on October 25, 2017, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 54 times since then. Photo   1. submitted on October 25, 2017, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.
Paid Advertisement