Constructed on-site: 1957
The Sawmill building houses the Trescott-Shepard sawmill originally located in South Royalton, Vermont. The water-powered mill was built in the late 1700s on Mill Brook by Jeremiah Trescott and his partner, Captain Stevens. Trescott's descendants, the Shepards, operated the mill until the early 20th century, later giving the mill contents to the Museum.
The Sawmill features tools dating from 1787, including the up-and-down saw and logging equipment.
Erected by the Shelburne Museum.
Location. 44° 22.57′ N, 73° 13.79′ W. Marker is in Shelburne, Vermont, in Chittenden County. Touch for map. Building, saw, and marker are on the Shelburne Museum grounds. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6000 Shelburne Road (US Hwy 7), Shelburne VT 05482, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Settlers' House and Barn (here, next to this marker); Webb Gallery (within shouting distance of this marker); Dorset House (within shouting distance of this marker); Covered Bridge (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Stencil House (about 300
Also see . . . The Shelburne Museum Story. (Submitted on November 1, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Horticulture & Forestry • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 1, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 1, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 66 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on November 1, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.