Potlatch in Latah County, Idaho — The American West (Mountains)
Built as a model town, Potlatch
—was owned by Weyerhaeuser's Potlatch Lumber Company —
Spokane architect C. Ferris White designed the new community in 1905. Workers’ housing stood close to the mill. Managers’ homes were built away from the plant’s noise and smoke. The railroad depot separated town from industry. All company owned, Potlatch was complete with churches, school, gym, hospital, opera house, and company store.
Erected by Idaho State Historical Society & Idaho Transportation Department. (Marker Number 505.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Idaho State Historical Society marker series.
Location. 46° 55.505′ N, 116° 54.165′ W. Marker is in Potlatch, Idaho, in Latah County. Marker is at the intersection of State Highway 6 and Onaway Road, on the left when traveling west on State Highway 6. Touch for map. Marker is located at a pull-out on the west side of Idaho highway 6, near the intersection with Onaway Road. There is a small, fenced, grassy area with two Potlatch town historical markers at this location. Marker is in this post office area: Potlatch ID 83855, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within walking distance of this marker. World's Largest Mill (here, next to this marker).
More about this marker. A large wooden marker in good condition
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 7, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 6, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 47 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on November 6, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.