Madison in Morgan County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
UGA Professor Joseph A. Stewart planned the impressive campus and Haralson Bleckley was the architect. The Madison A&M opened in 1908 in a Neoclassical style Administrative Building. When a newly-created State Board of Regents dissolved the system and the Class of 1933 graduated, the property was sold to the local Board of Education for $1.
Utilized by the National Youth Administration (1935-45), GA Dept. of Ed. for Veteran’s Farm Training (1946-48), and Morgan County High School (1948), its architectural legacy was lost to neglect, abandonment, and modernization (1963-76). Brick pillars are the last vestige of the original campus.
Erected by The City of Madison Madison Bicentennial Commission 1809-2009 A Preserve America Community.
Location. 33° 35.833′ N, 83° 27.15′ W. Marker is in Madison, Georgia, in Morgan County. Marker is at the intersection of College Drive and College Avenue, on Touch for map. The marker stands at the Morgan County High School. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1231 College Drive, Madison GA 30650, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Community Settlement (approx. 0.8 miles away); Morgan County (approx. 0.8 miles away); In Memory of the Boys from Morgan County, Georgia (approx. 0.8 miles away); William Tappan Thompson (approx. 0.8 miles away); Oliver Hardy, Genius of Comedy (approx. 0.8 miles away); Civic Advancement (approx. 0.8 miles away); Lodging Establishments (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Town Square (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 7, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 7, 2017, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 39 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 7, 2017, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.