Newport News, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Near this site on July 1, 1958, Mrs. Philip W. Hiden and Mrs. Homer L. Ferguson, assisted by Shipyard Board Chairman J. B. Woodward, Jr., cut the ribbon marking the consolidation of the cities of Warwick and Newport News into the greater city of Newport News. The merged city’s 65 square miles made it the largest in Virginia, while its population of 113,662 gave it third rank in the state.
Erected 1983 by Newport News Historical Committee.
Location. 37° 0.221′ N, 76° 26.612′ W. Marker is in Newport News, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of Huntington Avenue (U.S. 60) and 64th Street, on the right when traveling east on Huntington Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Newport News VA 23607, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Camp Alexander (approx. half a mile away); Camp Hill (approx. half a mile away); Heading Out (approx. 1.1 miles away); West Avenue Library (approx. 1.2 miles away); Lake Biggins (approx. 1.2 miles Ferguson Park (approx. 1.2 miles away); Dorothy & Newport News Shipbuilding (approx. 1.2 miles away); Dorothy – Hull Number One (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newport News.
Categories. • Political Subdivisions •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 8, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 7, 2017, by Cynthia L. Clark of Suffolk, Virginia. This page has been viewed 38 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 7, 2017, by Cynthia L. Clark of Suffolk, Virginia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.