Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Shreveport in Caddo Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
 

First City Market

 
 
First City Market Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, November 4, 2017
1. First City Market Marker
Inscription. In 1836 Market Street was designated the site of the city market. From 1850 to 1872 the Market House was located in the middle of Market Street from Texas Street north to the alley. On October 4, 1890 Shreveport's electric streetcar service, the first in Louisiana, was inaugurated at the intersection of Texas and Market.
 
Location. 32° 30.866′ N, 93° 44.87′ W. Marker is in Shreveport, Louisiana, in Caddo Parish. Marker is at the intersection of Market Street (U.S. 71) and Texas Street (U.S. 79/80), on the right when traveling north on Market Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Shreveport LA 71101, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old CNB Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Turning to the Right (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); CNB Building (about 400 feet away); Cane & Bennett's Trading Post (about 400 feet away); Harrison Building (about 500 feet away); 525 Spring Street (about 600 feet away); Green's Alley (about 600 feet away); Shreve Memorial Library (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Shreveport.
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceRailroads & Streetcars
 
First City Market Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, November 4, 2017
2. First City Market Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 8, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 8, 2017, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 45 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 8, 2017, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
Paid Advertisement