Mattoon in Coles County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Site of The Village of Richmond
Founded August 27, 1836
The survey of the Village shows thirty-seven lots. Main Street, sixty feet wide, ran immediately with the State Road and was crossed by Mulberry, Sycamore, and Cottenwood streets.
The State Road extended from Paris via Charleston to Shelbyville, and on to Vandalia, Illinois, the Old State Capitol.
A conch shell blown at a distance announced the arrival of the gaily painted stage coaches, carrying the mail and passengers. These days of the stage continued until the advent of the railroad in 1855.
Erected 1947 by Gov. Edward Coles Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution, Mattoon, Illinois.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. 39° 26.81′ N, 88° 24.476′ W. Marker is in Mattoon, Illinois, in Coles County. Marker is on Old State Road (State Highway 7) 0.8 miles east of Lake Road (County Road 280E), on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mattoon IL 61938, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured Abraham Lincoln - Eighth Judicial District ( approx. 2.5 miles away); General U. S Grant took Command ( approx. 3 miles away); Lincoln's Last Visit / The Debaters in Mattoon ( approx. 3 miles away); Gene Goodwin Park ( approx. 4.7 miles away); Cole Edward Spencer ( approx. 4.8 miles away); Moore House ( approx. 11.1 miles away); The Reuben Moore Home ( approx. 11.1 miles away); The Last Lincoln Farm ( approx. 11.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mattoon.
Categories. • Government • Notable Persons • Notable Places • Political Subdivisions •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 2, 2008, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 1,303 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 2, 2008, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.