Idaho City in Boise County, Idaho — The American West (Mountains)
Boise County Courthouse
In July of 1871 construction began on this handsome brick building, which was completed by October of the same year.
The building was built by C.S. and E.A. Kingsley as a general store.
Several businesses have occupied this building over the years, including Kennally’s Tin Shop, a hardware store, trinket shop and the Orchard Hotel.
In 1909 the Boise County Commissioners bought the building for $1,000 from Mary Orchard to use as the County Court House. The building interior has been remodeled to replicate earlier days using the original furnishings from the 1863 Court House on Commercial Street.
It is still in use today as the Boise County Court House.
The building is on the National Register of Historic Buildings in America.
Location. 43° 49.699′ N, 115° 49.98′ W. Marker is in Idaho City, Idaho, in Boise County. Marker is at the intersection of Wall Street and Main Street, on the right when traveling east on Wall Street. Touch for map. Marker is mounted on northeast corner outside wall of subject courthouse
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. U.S. Senator Frank Church (a few steps from this marker); World War II Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Miners Exchange (within shouting distance of this marker); The Idaho World (within shouting distance of this marker); Boise Basin Museum (within shouting distance of this marker); The Chinese Legacy in Boise Basin (在愛达荷城的华人) (within shouting distance of this marker); Pest House and County Jail (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Masonic Temple (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Idaho City.
More about this marker. Large wooden marker in good condition
Also see . . .
1. Historic Idaho CIty.
This building was begun in July of 1871 and completed three months later. This was no small task considering the degree of fire protection employed. The great iron folding doors, each weighing half a ton, were made in San Francisco, barged up the Columbia River, and carried overland by horse and ox teams. Three feet of packed earth filled the attic space, once estimated to weight about 200 tons. Local clay (Submitted on November 12, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. U.S. Senator Frank Church.
In 1976 Church sought the nomination for the Democratic candidacy for president. He won primaries in Nebraska, Idaho, Oregon and Montana, but eventually decided to withdraw in favor of Jimmy Carter. Church's outspoken views made him a lot of enemies and in 1980 was defeated in his attempt to be elected to the Senate for a fifth term. (Submitted on November 12, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 15, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 12, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 65 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on November 12, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.