Richmond Military Settlement
In August, 1818, some thirty disbanded veterans of the 99th Regiment, led by Captain G.T. Burke, arrived in newly surveyed Goulbourn Township. These formed the advance party of a military settlement planned and supported by the quartermaster-general's department. Here they laid out a town site named after the governor-general, the Duke of Richmond. Storehouses were built, settlers' cabins erected and the colonists provided with farm implements and rations. Under the general supervision of Lieutenant-Colonel Francis Cockburn, about 400 heads of families, including some civilians, were established in the settlement by the end of 1818, thus forming the first large community within the present Carleton County.
Erected by Ontario Archaeological and Historic Sites Board.
Location. 45° 11.705′ N, 75° 50.28′ W. Marker is in Richmond, Ontario, in Carleton County. Marker is on Perth Street just west of Huntley Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is adjacent to the Richmond Fairgrounds. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6107 Perth Street, Richmond, Ontario K0A 2Z0, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. County of Carleton/Richmond Agricultural Society (here,
Also see . . . History of Richmond, Ontario. (Submitted on November 12, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 12, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 12, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 55 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 12, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.