Near Burke in Fairfax County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Lee Chapel Church
1871 - 1951
Location. 38° 45.309′ N, 77° 16.584′ W. Marker is near Burke, Virginia, in Fairfax County. Marker is at the intersection of Fairfax County Parkway (Virginia Route 286) and Lee Chapel Road (County Route 643), Touch for map. Near South Run Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7415 Lee Chapel Rd., Burke VA 22015, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Keene’s Mill (approx. 2 miles away); Sydenstricker Schoolhouse (approx. 2 miles away); Silas Burke House (approx. 2.2 miles away); Copperthite Racetrack (approx. 2.5 miles away); Burke's Station (approx. 2.6 miles away); a different marker also named Burke's Station (approx. 2.7 miles away); Burke Station (approx. 2.7 miles away); The Huldah Coffer House (approx. 2.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Burke.
More about this marker. A photograph of the church is embedded in the marker. You can see it in the photograph of the marker shown on this page.
Regarding Lee Chapel Church. Church was at the intersection of Lee Chapel Road and Pohick Road. Pohick Road was replaced by the Fairfax County Parkway. It appears from the cement church steps (the only remaining part of the church) that the church faced Pohick Rd. The marker is in front of the steps, facing the road, just inside the fence. Entrance is on Yardarm Lane off Lee Chapel Road.
Also see . . .
1. Lee Chapel May No Longer Stand, But the Road and the Memories Remain. 2008 article by Eleanor Gomolinski-Lally in the South County Chronicle. “Beginning in 1920, hard times fell on Lee Chapel. Attendance was on the decline, partly due to bad roads and the fact that some of the most dedicated members had moved. The building was once again in need of repairs, but no funds were available. In 1924, Lee Chapel was closed. Some items used in worship services were distributed among members for safekeeping, but the two wooden collection plates were left with two coins—symbolic of the ‘widow’s mite’—in them. The church was rarely used for several years, but a key was left on the ledge above the vestibule door so that visitors to the cemetery could enter. There was no evidence of vandalism, and the coins remained untouched in the collection plates.” (Submitted on July 3, 2008.)
2. Cemeteries of Fairfax County, Virginia. (Submitted on December 21, 2005.)
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 27, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 4, 2005, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 3,951 times since then and 238 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on December 10, 2005. 2. submitted on February 10, 2006. 3, 4. submitted on December 10, 2005. 5. submitted on May 14, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.