Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Markleeville in Alpine County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Beautiful Hot Springs Valley

draws people now as it has for thousands of years

 
 
Beautiful Hot Springs Valley Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, June 27, 2007
1. Beautiful Hot Springs Valley Marker
Inscription. Summer after summer the Washoe Indian people visited the valley. Eventually their idyllic retreat was discovered.

During the winter of 1844 Captain John Fremont may have seen this place during his crossing of the Sierra. Fremontís diary of his crossing west over the Sierra has been interpreted by some historians with his route passing through Hot Springs Valley.

Just ten years later John Hawkins, the first white settler in the valley, began his cattle ranch here. His ranch house was built near where the back parking lot is today. The ranch also featured a 12 foot diameter hole dug to catch the hot water for bathing.

In 1866 C. H. Kilgore leased land here for a dairy ranch. Woodcutters moved into the valley in the early 1870s, clear-cutting the trees to supply wood to the mining camps.

Alvin M. Grover homesteaded 186 acres in the valley in 1873. Grover and Daniel Hawkins became partners adding a new bath house and enlarging the pool. Grover operated the pool along with his hotel in Markleeville.

The cabin you see standing west of the pool was occupied seasonally by Charles Scossa until the alley became a State Park in 1959.
 
Location. 38° 41.77′ N, 119° 50.632′ W. Marker is in Markleeville, California
Close-up of Ranch House pictured on Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, June 27, 2007
2. Close-up of Ranch House pictured on Marker
"The Hawkins Ranch House before it burned in early 1900s"
, in Alpine County. Marker can be reached from Hot Springs Road. Touch for map. Marker is located above the pool of the Grover Hot Springs State Park. Marker is in this post office area: Markleeville CA 96120, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Grover Hot Springs (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Log Jail (approx. 3.3 miles away); Old Webster School (approx. 3.3 miles away); Alpine County Historical Complex (approx. 3.3 miles away); Webster School (approx. 3.3 miles away); Alpine Hotel (approx. 3.4 miles away); Markleeville General Store (approx. 3.5 miles away); Alpine County Courthouse (approx. 3.5 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Markleeville.
 
Also see . . .
1. California State Parks - Grover Hot Springs. (Submitted on September 2, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
2. Fremont's Approach to Carson Pass. (Submitted on September 2, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
 
Categories. ExplorationNative AmericansNatural FeaturesNatural ResourcesNotable PersonsNotable PlacesSettlements & Settlers
 
The Valley as it looks today image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, June 27, 2007
3. The Valley as it looks today
Vintage Postcard - Grover Hot Springs image. Click for full size.
By Frashers Foto
4. Vintage Postcard - Grover Hot Springs
Natural Wonder of Alpine County. Four miles west of Ebbetts Pass Highway from Markleeville, Alpine County, California
The Charles Scossa Cabin mentioned on Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, June 27, 2007
5. The Charles Scossa Cabin mentioned on Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 2, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 2,285 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 2, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.   4. submitted on October 4, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.   5. submitted on September 2, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement