Southfield in Oakland County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
This marker is placed on this site in recognition of many years of continuous use as a place of worship.
In the year of 1852 this site was donated by Ezekiel Hutton to the congregation. Their first building was moved to the site. Ten years later a new structure (front portion of picture) was erected and dedicated June 23, 1865.
A congregation was organized in April 1850 with seventeen charter members as a congregation of the Associate Presbyterian Church of North America. Rev. James M. Smeallie was ordained and installed the first pastor on the first Wednesday, September 1852.
Erected 1972 by Southfield Historical Society.
Location. 42° 28.342′ N, 83° 15.36′ W. Marker is in Southfield, Michigan, in Oakland County. Marker is on West Ten Mile Road east of Lois Lane, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 21575 West Ten Mile Road, Southfield MI 48075, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Southfield United Presbyterian Church (a few steps from this marker); Pioneer Cemetery (approx. 0.3 miles away); Lawrence Institute of Technology Mary Thompson Farm (approx. 0.9 miles away); Mary Thompson House (approx. 0.9 miles away); Memorial Marker (approx. 0.9 miles away); Southfield Cemetery (approx. 1.1 miles away); Historical Marker (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Southfield.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 15, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 15, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 30 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 15, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.