Wilmington in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Scott AME Zion Church
The present church was originally constructed in 1852 to serve as an interdenominational education facility known as the Seventh Street Sabbath School. In 1855 the seating capacity of the building was doubled and its name was changed to Scott Methodist Episcopal Church to honor pioneering Methodist Bishop Levi Scott. After a century of good works in the community, the church was formally closed and sole to the members of Grace AME Zion. Upon moving to the present location, the name Scott AME Zion Church was adopted by the congregation, preserving an important link to the early days of Methodism.
Erected 2001 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number NC-112.)
Location. 39° 44.385′ N, 75° 32.535′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Wilmington DE 19801, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Holy Trinity Church ( about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. Mary's Church ( about 600 feet away); Mother Union American Methodist Episcopal Church ( about 700 feet away); Major Peter Jaquett ( about 800 feet away); Old Swedes' Church ( approx. 0.2 miles away); Fort Christina National Historic Landmark ( approx. ¼ mile away); Bethel A.M.E. Church ( approx. 0.3 miles away); Ezion-Mount Carmel United Methodist Church ( approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wilmington.
Categories. • African Americans • Churches, Etc. • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 2, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,551 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 2, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.