Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hailey in Blaine County, Idaho — The American West (Mountains)
 

J.C. Fox Building

115 S. Main St.

 
 
J.C. Fox Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 26, 2017
1. J.C. Fox Building Marker
Inscription. J.C. Fox, the original owner of the building and one of Hailey's founders, had it erected in 1920 after operating a general store three doors up the street for almost forty years. He served as mayor for two years and was vice-president of the Hailey National Bank. J.C. Fox owned the property for sixteen years before replacing its frame building with the brick Fox Building.
The building was originally heated from water piped in from the hot springs west of Hailey. The first floor housed a saloon known as the Senate Pool Hall, the First National Bank of Hailey, and a jewelry store. The second floor housed the 10-room Hailey Hospital, operated by J.C. Fox's son, Dr. Earl Wellman Fox which continued in use finto the 1960s. Many townspeople were born under the skylight, which was replicated twice more when the building was renovated in 1984.
Doctor Fox was born in 1887 and raised in Hailey. He received his education at the Barnes Medical School at the University of St. Louis and did post graduate study at the Mayo Clinic. He gave 41 years of medical service to the community. He was quite benevolent to many patients who could not afford to pay for his services in cash, often accepting a chicken, pig, cow or garden produce as payment. For his long-distance calls in winter he used the forerunner of the snowmobile, powered by an airplane
J.C. Fox Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 26, 2017
2. J.C. Fox Building Marker
The marker is found on the center pillar of the building.
engine.
The Fox building was condemned and the building to the south had been demolished. In 1983 the Fox building was restored and combined with the newly constructed Brown building to the south. In 1993 the city obtained ownership of both buildings which were dedicated for public service including city hall and the public library.
 
Erected by Hailey Historic Preservation Commission.
 
Location. 43° 31.131′ N, 114° 18.902′ W. Marker is in Hailey, Idaho, in Blaine County. Marker is on South Main Street near Croy Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 115 South Main Street, Hailey ID 83333, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. J.J. Tracy Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Rialto Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Bullion Block Site/Werthheimer Building (within shouting distance of this marker); W.H. Watt Building (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Wood River Mines (approx. 3.4 miles away); Ketchum (approx. 11 miles away); The Lewis Ore Wagons (approx. 11.6 miles away); The Congregational Church (approx. 11.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hailey.
 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 
J.C. Fox Building image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 26, 2017
3. J.C. Fox Building
J.C. Fox Building image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 26, 2017
4. J.C. Fox Building
National Register of Historic Places
Built 1920 -- Renovation 1984
Awards
Idaho Historical Society Honorable Mention
National Association of Home Builders Merit Award
Architects
McLaughlin Architects Chartered
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 15, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 15, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 46 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 15, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.
Paid Advertisement