Moberly in Randolph County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Moberly, the “Magic City,” grew from the town platted by the North Missouri R.R. (Wabash) in 1866 to a transportation center with a 6,070 population by 1880. The North Mo. acquired the site when it took over the Chariton and Randolph R.R. after the Civil War in 1860. In 1860, the C. & R. had planned a road west to Brunswick from this point on the North Mo. then reaching toward Iowa.
The Chariton and Randolph R.R. named its proposed junction for William Moberly, head of the road, and offered free land to residents of once nearby Allen to settle here. Patrick Lynch, who alone accepted, was given two lots by the North Missouri after the Civil War for holding the site without “the loss of a life or a house.”
Moberly has been a division point since 1867 when the North Mo. (Wabash) reached Brunswick. Huge railroad repair shops, one of the earliest railroad plants west of the Mississippi, were opened, 1872. The M.K. & T. formed a junction here, 1873. Transportation facilities brought industrial growth and the development of the soil, fire clay, and coal resources of the area.
At Huntsville, county seat since 1831, a plank road was built to Glasgow, 1854, and the 1855-82 Mt. Pleasant (Baptist) College was founded. County legal business had been conducted at Huntsville and Moberly since 1885. Moberly Junior College opened, 1927.
World War II Gen. Omar N. Bradley, first Chairman Joint Chiefs of Staff, was born in nearby Clark. Moberly’s airport is named for him. Moberly is the home of novelist Elizabeth Selfert Gasparotti and birthplace of writer Jack Conroy. C.W.P Hunt, first Governor of Arizona, was born in Huntsville. Hancock L. Jackson, interim Gov. of Mo., 1857; Lt. Gov., 1857-61, and the biochemist Victor Vaughn, were natives of Randolph County.
Erected by State Historical Society of Missouri and State Highway Commission. (Marker Number 1957.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Missouri, State Historical Society of marker series.
Location. 39° Touch for map. Marker is located in the Railroad Museum and Park, site of the former Moberly Railroad Depot. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 North Sturgeon Street, Moberly MO 65270, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Trail of Death (was approx. 5.9 miles away but has been reported missing. ); General Omar N. Bradley Memorial (approx. 10.8 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Wabash Railroad History.
During th Civil War period from 1861 to 1865, the North Missouri's property was a military objective for both the Union and Confederate Armies operating in the vicinity. Following the War, the North Missouri Railroad began to rebuild the lines destroyed in military maneuvers and also began the construction of what was then known as the "West Branch," a line running from Moberly to Birmingham, a small town near Kansas City. (Submitted on November 15, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. History of Moberly.
On July 4, 1860, William Roberts entered into an agreement to deed forty acres of his land to the Chariton & Randolph Railroad (Submitted on November 15, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 4, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 15, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 75 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on November 15, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 7, 8. submitted on November 18, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.