Near Andrews in Andrews County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Midland and Northwestern Railroad
Fasken purchased the C Ranch in 1912 from estate of Chicago meat packer Nelson Morris. Used part of land for track right-of-way. Developed railroad to ship cattle to markets and encourage settlement. Town of Fasken at peak had one-story depot, hotel, general store, two dwelling houses, schoolhouse and stock pens.
The standard gauge line had one passenger coach, two flatcars, a mail and express car. Had trouble keeping on schedule because equipment was old and needed repairs constantly. Fireman and engineer shot coyotes en route to break monotony. In 1920, M.&N.W. went into receivership, and was sold to T.&P. after flash floods floated crossties away from roadbed.
After approval by the Texas Railroad Commission, M.&N.W. was abandoned in 1923. Line was without prospects of increasing tonnage, was not prudently located, and would have lost money if operated.
Erected 1967 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3361.)
Location. 32° Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Andrews TX 79714, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Means Methodist Church (approx. 8.6 miles away); Shafter's Trail (approx. 8.6 miles away); Billionth Barrel (approx. 8.7 miles away); Two Billionth Barrel (approx. 8.7 miles away); Andrews County Veterans Memorial (approx. 9.1 miles away); Early Settlers (approx. 9.1 miles away); Original Townsite of Andrews (approx. 9.1 miles away); Dorsie M. Pinnell (approx. 9.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Andrews.
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 17, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 17, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 54 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 17, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.