Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Caldwell in Canyon County, Idaho — The American West (Mountains)
 

Caldwell Train Depot

 
 
Caldwell Train Depot Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 28, 2017
1. Caldwell Train Depot Marker
Inscription. In 1884, the Oregon Short Line Railroad reached "Bugtown," later renamed Caldwell after C.A. "Alexander" Caldwell, who served as the President of the Idaho & Oregon Land Improvement Company at the time.
The current depot facility is actually the third structure constructed on the site and was approved by the Union Pacific Railroad's General Superintendent, W.H. Bancroft in 1906. It was built at a cost of approximately $40,000 and it immediately became the center of Caldwell's downtown activity. In 1995, the National Park Service recognized it as eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places. The building is now owned by the City of Caldwell after purchasing it for $1.00 from the Union Pacific Railroad Company in 1989 and successfully executing a 99-year lease agreement of the underlying parcel.
The Caldwell Train Depot and Plaza are a vital component of the recent Downtown Revitalization effort. The City of Caldwell received grant funds from the Idaho Department of Commerce & Labor to construct the plaza and surrounding parking areas. Idaho Transportation Department Enhancement Grants provided funds to restore the depot to its original grandeur. The Friends of the Caldwell Depot have provided volunteer service to create and operate the Depot Interpretive Center, dedicated on November 21, 2008. The Caldwell
Caldwell Train Depot and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 28, 2017
2. Caldwell Train Depot and Marker
Train Depot remains both an architectural and historical icon to the city center and continues to serve as a community focal point.
 
Erected 2009 by The Friends of the Caldwell Depot, City of Caldwel, E Clampus Vitus, Lucinda J. Saunders Chapter No. 1881, Snake River Outpost No. 1881.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
 
Location. 43° 40.044′ N, 116° 41.266′ W. Marker is in Caldwell, Idaho, in Canyon County. Marker can be reached from Main Street near South 7th Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 701 Main Street, Caldwell ID 83605, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A.K. Steunenberg / Frank Steunenberg (a few steps from this marker); The College of Idaho (approx. one mile away); Emigrant Crossing (approx. 1.4 miles away); Peaceful Trading Turns Hostile (approx. 4 miles away); Hostility Erupts Into Violence (approx. 4 miles away); To the Memory of the Pioneers (approx. 4 miles away); Violence is Avenged (approx. 4 miles away); The Ward Massacre (approx. 4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Caldwell.
 
More about this marker.
Caldwell Train Depot image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 28, 2017
3. Caldwell Train Depot
The railroad depot is setback from Main Street.
 
Categories. Notable BuildingsRailroads & Streetcars
 
Caldwell Train Depot Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 28, 2017
4. Caldwell Train Depot Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 17, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 17, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 57 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 17, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.
Paid Advertisement