Takoma Park in Montgomery County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Carroll Avenue Bridge
Three bridges have been built across Sligo Creek at Carroll Avenue. The first bridge, built about 1878, was a simple wooden structure located about 150 feet below the site of the present bridge. When the Seventh-day Adventist Church established a hospital and college nearby in 1904, it became apparent that a larger bridge capable of handling increasing traffic for the growing community was needed.
Walter Douglas, who engineered the Lion Bridge on Connecticut Avenue, designed and supervised construction of the new reinforced concrete structure. The Adventist Church made a substantial contribution toward the $10,000 costs, and the bridge opened on July 22, 1909, with a speed limit of 8 miles per hour!
The Douglas Bridge served the town until the 1930s, when population growth and ever increasing automobile traffic demanded a larger structure. Governor Albert C. Ritchie and leading state, county, and city officials opened the three-lane steel and concrete bridge on September 14, 1932, in a gala celebration attended by over 1,000 people.
Presented by Historic Takoma, Inc., 1988
Erected 1988 by Historic Takoma, Inc.
Location. 38° 59.038′ N, 76° 59.997′ W. Marker is in Takoma Park Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7610 Carroll Avenue, Takoma Park MD 20912, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Source (approx. 0.2 miles away); "The Presidents Tree" (approx. ¼ mile away); Sligo Creek Waterworks (approx. 0.3 miles away); Lee Jordan Field (approx. ¾ mile away); Lee Jordan (approx. ¾ mile away); Scott H. Lawson (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Thomas/Siegler House and Garden (approx. 0.9 miles away); Early Takoma (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Takoma Park.
Categories. • Bridges & Viaducts • Churches & Religion • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 4, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 18, 2017, by Devry Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 72 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 18, 2017, by Devry Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. 5, 6. submitted on November 24, 2017, by Devry Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.