Darien in McIntosh County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Darien Presbyterian Church
Later, the Meeting House was built about eight miles North of Darien on the Savannah road, to serve the people of St. Andrew`s Parish, at that time almost entirely Presbyterian.
In 1808 the First Presbyterian Church of Darien received its charter, and a building was erected near the center of the town. This was later burned and for a time services were held in another building in the vicinity.
A place of worship, built on this site and dedicated in January of 1876, was later destroyed by fire. the present edifice was constructed in 1900.
Erected 1958 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 095-28.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 31° 22.303′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 309 3rd St W, Darien GA 31305, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. New Inverness (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); McIntosh County (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Oglethorpe Oak (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Oglethorpe Oak (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Burning of Darien (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fort King George (approx. ¼ mile away); Darien (approx. ¼ mile away); Darien's Railroad and Depot (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Darien.
Regarding Darien Presbyterian Church. The First Presbyterian Church of Darien is considered to be the first congregation of the Presbyterian denomination to be established in Georgia. The Darien church was founded in January 1736 by Scottish Highlanders from Inverness, Scotland, only three years after the Georgia colony was established at Savannah by James Edward Oglethorpe.
The Rev. John McLeod of Scotland was the first pastor of the Darien church, which prospered during the colonial era in the formative years of the town and colony.
The Darien Presbyterian
A new wooden Presbyterian church was built in 1876 on the site of the present church on a plot owned by the congregation since the 1820s (Bayard Square). An accidental fire destroyed the building in 1899, although church records (dating back to 1820) and the pulpit furniture were saved. A new tabby Gothic-Victorian church edifice, the present structure, was built and consecrated to the glory of God on September 2, 1900. In 2000, the Darien congregation held special observances in recognition of the 100th anniversary of the building.
(Source: http://www.savannahpresbytery.org/Portals/1081/histories/First PC Darien History.doc)
Also see . . . First Presbyterian Church History. (Submitted on September 3, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 3, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 883 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 3, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.