The Long Island Mill
An outstanding example of mill architecture in Ontario, this grist-mill was constructed by Thomas Langrell, an Ottawa contractor, for Moss K. Dickinson (1822-97) and Joseph M. Currier (1820-84), the owners of a nearby sawmill. The Long Island Mill began operation in 1860 with four sets of mill-stones driven by water-powered turbines manufactured in Ottawa. By the autumn of 1862 a woollen-mill had been added to this industrial complex, around which the community of Manotick developed. Dickinson acquired full interest in the mills in 1863 and the family retained ownership of the Long Island Mill until 1929. In 1972 this mill, the adjacent Dickinson House, and the original carriage-shed were purchased and restored by the Rideau Valley Conservation Authority.
Erected by Ontario Heritage Foundation, Ministry of Culture and Recreation.
Location. 45° 13.622′ N, 75° 40.982′ W. Marker is in Manotick, Ontario, in Rideau-Goulbourn Ward, City of Ottawa. Marker is on Dickinson Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5525 Dickinson Street, Manotick, Ontario K4M 1A2, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Mill and Manotick / Le moulin et Manotick (within
Regarding The Long Island Mill. The Long Island Mill is more commonly known as the Watson Mill.
Also see . . .
1. Watson's Mill History. (Submitted on November 19, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Watson's Mill, Manotick on YouTube. (Submitted on November 19, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Agriculture • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 19, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 19, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 57 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 19, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.