Near Perry in Aiken County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Indian Head / The Middle Road
The Indian Head, a series of springs at the head of Goodland Swamp, long served as a landmark and watering place. Travelers along the Middle Road referenced it and it appears on colonial plats. In 1781 Loyalists under command of Lt. Col. John H. Cruger passed near here after their withdrawal from Ninety Six. They were pursued by Whigs, including militia commanded by Col. Andrew Pickens.
The Middle Road
This road began as a Native American trading path that ran from the fall line of the Savannah River to Charleston. By the colonial era it was known as the Middle road, Ninety Six Road, and the Road from Long Canes to Charleston. A statute of 1770 established it as a public road. It ran between the forks of the Edisto from Orangeburgh Bridge to Indian Head, before continuing to the Ridge.
Erected 2016 by Aiken County Historical Society. (Marker Number 2 58.)
Location. 33° 37.42′ N, 81° 17.73′ W. Marker is near Perry, South Carolina, in Aiken County. Marker is on John Nunn Highway (State Highway 389) half a mile east of Poole Road, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Salley SC 29137, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Commemorative Memorial (approx. one mile away); Old Indian Trail (approx. 1.6 miles away); The Salley Family (approx. 3.9 miles away); Capt. Dempsey Hammond Salley (approx. 3.9 miles away); Wagener (approx. 3.9 miles away); Wagener Memorial Monument (approx. 4.2 miles away); Wagener Museum (approx. 4.3 miles away); The Crawfords Memorial (approx. 5.7 miles away).
More about this marker. This marker appears to have a significant error. It is stated on the marker that the road where the marker rests was created by a S.C. Statute At Large in 1770 which would be statute #995, according to McCord's and that this statue states a widening of this road. No where does this statute reference such an event as a widening of the road and, the Statute actually states that the road of the 1770 statute was on the north side of the Orangeburg Bridge and N. Edisto River. The road where this marker rests was created by a S.C. Statute at large in 1757, statute #859, also according to McCord's and official documents of the State of South Carolina. There are also a couple of other errors but this one alone invalidates the other stated on this marker. Both statutes can be easily Googled and it is suggested to look for each statute in its entirety.
1. The Middle Road
The Middle Road, an old Indian trail running between the N & S Edisto Rivers from Long Canes to Orangeburg passing through The Indian Head. The 1770 SC Statutes ordered the trail to be widened to accommodate carts and wagons.
— Submitted April 18, 2017, by John J. Howell of Columbia, South Carolina.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Native Americans • Roads & Vehicles • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 30, 2017. This page originally submitted on April 18, 2017, by John J. Howell of Columbia, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 344 times since then. Last updated on November 20, 2017. Photos: 1. submitted on April 9, 2017, by John J. Howell of Columbia, South Carolina. 2, 3. submitted on April 18, 2017, by John J. Howell of Columbia, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.