Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Dayton in Montgomery County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Deeds Barn

the Replica

 

—With the Original, in It’s Third Location —

 
Deeds Barn Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, November 20, 2017
1. Deeds Barn Marker
Inscription. Being too busy to change the phonograph record, the men working in this building listened to the song, “When You and I Were Young, Maggie” over and over through the night.

This is a replica of the carriage barn that stood behind the home of Edward and Edith Deeds at 319 Central Avenue in Dayton.

In the original barn, from 1908 to 1912, a group of young engineers and inventors headed by Deeds and Charles F. Kettering developed the modern electric automobile ignition, starter and lighting systems. Nicknamed the “Barn Gang,” the group became the nucleus of the Dayton Engineering Laboratories Company (DELCO).

Replica built in 1949 in Carillon Historical Park.

signage funded by Warren E. and Thelma L. Snyder The third marker (inside) reads;
Deeds Barn
In this barn once located at 319 Central Avenue in Dayton, Charles Franklin Kettering invented the electric ignition and the self- starter which revolutionized the automobile industry and in 1909 led to the founding of the Dayton Engineering Laboratories Company (Delco). Kettering formed a partnership with NCR executive Edward A, Deeds and the barn which stood behind the Deeds home became Kettering’s workshop. Listed on the National Registry of Historic Places, the Deeds barn was saved from destruction by the Kettering- Moraine

Deeds Barn Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, November 20, 2017
2. Deeds Barn Marker
full view of marker, outside of the replica barn
Museum and Historical Society which continues to restore and maintain it. erected by the Montgomery County Historical Society-1975
 
Erected by Warren E. and Thelma L. Snyder.
 
Location. 39° 43.695′ N, 84° 12.041′ W. Marker is in Dayton, Ohio, in Montgomery County. Marker can be reached from Carillon Boulevard. Touch for map. Marker is in Carillon Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1000 Carillon Blvd, Dayton OH 45409, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Newcom Tavern (within shouting distance of this marker); Carillon Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Locust Grove School (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Stewart Street Concrete Arch Bridge (approx. 0.9 miles away); Viet Nam Veterans Memorial (approx. 1.1 miles away); The Patterson Homestead (approx. 1.1 miles away); The 93rd Regiment (approx. 1.1 miles away); Col. Robert Patterson (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dayton.
 
More about this marker. The original barn, and the third marker, are inside the Heritage Center of Dayton Manufacturing & Entrepreneurship
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceRoads & Vehicles
 
Deeds Barn Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, November 20, 2017
3. Deeds Barn Marker
the marker is just to the right of the front door
Deeds Barn Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, November 20, 2017
4. Deeds Barn Marker
the original barn, inside the "Heritage Center"
Deeds Barn Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, November 20, 2017
5. Deeds Barn Marker
old picture of the barn in its original location
Deeds Barn Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, November 20, 2017
6. Deeds Barn Marker
the "third" marker, inside the "Heritage Center". Compare to HMDB #11032 "Deeds Barn"
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 21, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 20, 2017, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 55 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on November 20, 2017, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement