Tahoka in Lynn County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Tahoka soon boasted a 2-story frame courthouse, school, two churches, a hotel, and several businesses, including a newspaper, "The Lynn County News," first published on Oct. 9, 1903, by Otis and Inez Lilly. In 1906, a bank and a cotton gin were built. The Santa Fe Railroad was extended from Slaton to Tahoka in 1910, and for several years Tahoka was one of the largest cattle shipping points in the nation. The community was incorporated on June 13, 1915, and J. E. Stokes elected mayor.
Tahoka serves as a trade center for Lynn County farmers and ranchers.
Erected 1974 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 5190.)
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1612 Lockwood Street, Tahoka TX 79373, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lynn County Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lynn County (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Lynn County Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Lynn County (approx. 3.9 miles away); Wilson Mercantile Company (approx. 11.3 miles away); Site of Mackenzie Cavalry Camp (approx. 11.4 miles away); Spanish Explorers' Route (approx. 11.4 miles away); The A. J. Warren Building (approx. 14.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tahoka.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 20, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 20, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 58 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 20, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.